Hyderabad: A resident of Kukatpally posted photos of 5 seater couch set on the market on OLX web site for Rs. 23,500 and acquired a name from an individual who stated that he’s desirous about shopping for the couch set and despatched a QR code asking to scan the QR code for advance cost.
Believing his phrases, the complainant scanned the QR code and paid Rs. 1 and Rs. 2. As in his checking account, he scanned varied codes a number of instances and misplaced an quantity of Rs. Rs 99,500 has been deducted from his checking account.
With an unprecedented shift in distant working, on-line fraudsters discover other ways to rob harmless folks. Cybercrime cell of Cyberabad Police Commissionerate has acquired round 173 complaints from victims within the first month of New Yr 2021 wherein they’re shedding their hard-earned cash after scanning QR codes despatched by fraudsters. them.
In line with a Cyber Crime Cell official, these cyber fraudsters hailing from Rajasthan are posting pretend commercials on the web and varied social media platforms on the pretext of promoting or shopping for used items and duping harmless folks indirectly or the opposite.
Within the second week of January 2021, some QR code frauds have been reported to the cybercrime cell. In one other case, a complainant misplaced Rs. 57000 by scanning the QR code shared by the fraudster with the intention of shopping for his dressing desk, which he posted on the OLX web site.
A lot of the QR code fraud is going on in circumstances of shopping for items, i.e., every time the sufferer posts an commercial on OLX to promote some items, the fraudster contacts him on the chat and exchanges the contact numbers.
The fraudsters guarantee the sufferer that he’s prepared to purchase the products and with out negotiating the worth, he’ll ask the sufferer to scan the QR code despatched by him in order that they’ll get the cash in his account. The cyber crime cell official stated that believing this, the victims scan the QR code despatched by the fraudsters assuming that the cash shall be credited to their account, however they lose the cash after scanning the code.
With the intention to keep away from and forestall such frauds, the Cyber Crime Cell has issued an advisory:
- Learn the directions notified by the Platform earlier than continuing to pay/obtain the quantity and don’t fall into the lure of fraudsters.
- Please be aware that UPI PIN isn’t required to be entered whereas receiving the quantity by QR code scanning. The PIN needs to be entered solely whereas making the cost of the quantity.
- Do not fall prey to this simply by studying the remark column of the QR code display screen as fraudsters point out the feedback as ‘paying XXXX quantity’ and many others. to make you consider.
- Don’t consider the commercials posted on the OLX platform simply by viewing the commercial and examine the products personally earlier than buying.
- Allow us to inform you that a lot of the fraudsters are posting commercials with photos of military officers or another uniformed forces to make you consider.